After what feels like quite a long year of panning 20 makeup products, I’m going to share my final progress report for my project pan 2020.
I began my project pan 2020 in April with an aim of using up 20 makeup products by the end of the year. This was quite ambitious for somebody who generally only wears makeup once or twice a week but I wanted to see how well I’d do.
For those of you who don’t know what a project pan is, it’s where you aim to ‘hit pan’ on a select number of makeup products. It’s designed to help you be mindful of your makeup spending habits and to use the products you own, rather than keep buying new items.
‘Hitting pan’ means finishing or almost finishing an eyeshadow, blusher or pressed powder. Being able to see the bottom of the case that houses the product shows that you have used the shade a lot. Although ‘hitting pan’ refers to powder products, a project pan extends to any type of makeup item and how much of that product you have used up.
I’ve shared 2 project pan progress reports (here and here) throughout the year but as 2020 draws to a close, I’m sharing my final update. Keep on reading to see how well I did.
Products I’ve finished – 6
- IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream with SPF 50 – I love this foundation and managed to use it up. I’d definitely repurchase this one
- Too Faced Melted Chocolate Liquified Lipstick in Chocolate Honey – I threw this lipstick out as I never reached for it
- M.A.C. Cosmetics Matte Lipstick in Whirl – I completely finished this M.A.C. lipstick
- Helen É Long Lasting Lip Colour in Raspberry – This lipstick was really old so I threw it out
- Seventeen Makeup Lipstick in Autumn Berries – This is another old lipstick and I just have shades I like more, so I decided to toss it
- The Ordinary Coverage Foundation – I used this foundation up
Products I’ve ‘hit pan’ on/nearly finished – 4
- Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Concealer – This is very close to being finished but there’s still a bit of concealer left. As this is such a full coverage concealer, it takes me ages to get through the tube. I’m going to move this across to my 2021 project pan because I can definitely use it up next year
- NYX Cosmetics Soft Matte Lip Cream in Cannes – This lipstick is almost finished as each time I use it, the wand is picking up less and less product. I’m disappointed that I didn’t completely finish this lipstick in 2020 but will move it across to my 2021 project pan
- Maybelline Lasting Drama Light Eyeliner Pencil – I still have quite a lot of uses left but the pencil is very small now, so I’ve made loads of progress
- Soleil Tan de Chanel – I’ve certainly ‘hit pan’ on this bronzer as I can see the bottom of the bronzer pan. I’d hoped to have used up more of this product, though
Products I’ve made a lot of progress on – 3
- Colourpop All Star Matte Setting Spray – I’m probably down to the last quarter of this setting spray. I thought I might be able to use this up by the end of the year but will definitely use it up by the end of 2021
- Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer – I have less than one-third of this primer left. I’ll be moving this across to my 2021 project pan
- Lancôme Hypnôse Mascara – The mascara is becoming drier and drier, so I think it’s only got around 10 uses left
Remaining products – 7
- Kat Von D Tattoo Liner – Although I thought I was close to using this eyeliner up, I still seem to be getting quite a lot of product out on each use. It’s quite hard to know how much product is left in eyeliner pens
- Sephora lip liner to go in shade 15 – This lip liner is getting very small but I’m still a few months away from completely finishing it
- Huda Beauty Coral Obsessions Palette – I don’t know why I thought I could use this eyeshadow palette up in the space of a year. Even when I wore this palette a lot during the summer, I barely made dents in the eyeshadows. I’ve got to be careful including eyeshadow palettes in my project pans in the future
- RCMA No-Color Powder – I’ve used up around half of this setting powder now. With some determination, I think I can use this up by the end of next year
- Tarte Cosmetics Amazonian Clay Blush – I use this powder blusher with pretty much every single makeup look I do and I swear I’m not even close to hitting pan on this product. Note to self: be careful with power cheek products in the future as they take ages to get through
- Duo eyelash glue – I’ve probably used around half of this eyelash glue
- e.l.f. Cosmetics Jelly Highlighter – I was crazy to think I could finish this jelly highlighter up by the end of 2020. Considering it was basically a full pot at the beginning of the year, I’d have to drench myself in this highlighter to use it up in the space of a year
Final thoughts on my project pan 2020
My project pan 2020 has been a steep learning curve for me. I’ve learned a lot about my makeup spending habits, the makeup products I reach for the most and how quickly I get through makeup products.
When I do my project pan 2021, I’m going to be wary of powder cheek products as they take a long time to get through. However, I’ll look to include more liquid products as they seem easier to make progress on.
Overall, I’m very happy with my project pan 2020 progress. I’ve got through a lot of my makeup products and have limited spending money in areas where I’ve got loads of dupes, such as nude pink lipsticks and bronzers.