Last Updated on 24th August 2023 by Sarah Sarsby
As summer draws to a close, I wanted to share my recreation of a fun makeup look with a dewy base and pop of yellow eyeshadow.
The original makeup look comes from the incredibly talented Painted by Spencer. It features a pop of colour, beautiful glowing skin, and a pretty pink lip to tie everything together. I saw this makeup look and fell in love. So I simply had to recreate it!
If you love these understated yet playful looks as much as me, then keep on reading to see Painted by Spencer’s original makeup tutorial, my recreation, and the products I used to achieve this look. Spoiler alert: It was actually super easy!
** This post contains some affiliate links. This means, at no extra cost to you, I earn some commission if you purchase a product through my link. All thoughts are my own, as always. If you want to find out more, visit my affiliate disclosure page **
Painted by Spencer’s pop of colour tutorial
Here’s Painted by Spencer’s YouTube video I followed to achieve this beautiful summery makeup look:
Like, how gorgeous is this look? From the luminous skin, glossy lips, and expertly placed pop of yellow eyeshadow, I was immediately obsessed.
Painted by Spencer makes it very easy for you to follow his tutorials too. He explains his processes and techniques really well – including when things don’t go so well and I love this transparency – and you can easily see the products he uses to achieve the desired look.
My makeup recreation
For the makeup, I literally followed the tutorial precisely. Sure, many of the products I used were different, as I used products in my collection, but I followed the steps as perfectly as I could.
However, I did my skin prep a little differently. I didn’t do the whole cleansing technique that Spencer did. Honestly, that’s why my skin isn’t quite as glowy as Spencer’s version. That, and the fact that studio lighting really emphasises glow. If I recreated this makeup look again, I’d definitely try Spencer’s cleansing step!
I ultimately did my standard hydrating and glowy skin prep, and you can see which products I used to achieve this later on in the article.
I absolutely love how the makeup turned out. I think the pink and yellow complement each other so well, and I love the understated radiant and natural base.
One of the things I really enjoyed doing in this makeup look was only applying mascara to the outer corners of my eyelashes for that accentuated cat-eye vibe.
If I did this makeup again, I think I’d apply even more of the shimmery yellow shadow to the inner corner for an extra pop.
Honestly, this makeup tutorial was so easy to follow. It took me about 30 minutes to do this look due to there not being loads of intricate steps and an overload of makeup products. It’s playful with colours without being OTT.
- Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser
- Perricone MD High Potency Hyaluronic Intensive Hydrating Serum
- RoC Skincare Multi Correxion Hydrate and Plump Eye Cream (Grab 20% off the RoC eye cream with my code LFTFBLOGSARAH)
- Rodial Vitamin C Drops (Grab 20% off the Rodial Vitamin C Drops with my code LFTFBLOGSARAH)
- Glossier Futuredew
- Codex Beauty Bia Hydrating Skin Superfood
- Sioris Time Is Running Out Mist
- Garnier Ambre Solaire Sensitive Face Sun Cream Mist SPF50
- e.l.f. Cosmetics Poreless Putty Face Primer
- Pat McGrath Labs Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Foundation
- Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Concealer
- Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Finish
- Patrick Ta Major Sculpt Crème & Powder Bronzer Duo
- ICONIC London Sheer Blush
- Pat McGrath Labs Skin Fetish: Highlighter + Balm Duo
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Amrezy Highlighter
- Benefit Cosmetics Precisely, My Brow Pencil
- MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot Eye Shadow
- Colourpop Yes, Please! Eyeshadow Palette (discontinued)
- Jade Thirlwall x Beauty Bay 42 Colour Palette
- L’Oréal Paris Telescopic Carbon Mascara
- Rimmel Soft Khol Eyeliner
- Beauty Pie Wondergel Long Wear Lip Liner
- Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet Liquid Lipstick
- Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb
Do you like these sorts of radiant and playful makeup looks or are you a nude lover?